Tuesday, May 25, 2021

MaW session 22nd May 2021



 


















Today Adrienne calmed us to comatose with her amazing Body Scan Practice that she introduced with a poem "The Journey" by David Whyte.

Bev took a writing prompt

in the last of the light at the edge of the field

 from the poem "Hare" by Toby Litt that links you to BBC essay where you can hear Toby read it, here is the link to the poem.

********************************************************************

And now for some of 

YOUR WRITING:

Barn Owl
by Judith Boardman

In the last of the light, at the edge of the field, I catch a flicker of white. I turn towards the dunes, where the persistent rays of evening sunshine illuminate a bank of golden gorse, and there you are.

I stop, hold my breath and feel my heart thumping with expectation and excitement. In full view now, just ahead of me over the spikes of marram grass, your ghostly, pure white wings beat silently; your head turns slowly, this way and that, seeking, listening, hunting, aware of, but ignoring me.

As the light fades quickly, and this vast open space between the sea and the town falls into shadow, I’m drawn to your magical luminosity, and transfixed by this fleeting moment.

Then suddenly you drop, and are gone, and once again I feel my feet on the path.

At the edge of the light I will wait for you there. 
by Sandra Walls

I see you from my peripheral vision 
At the edge of the light
In shadows
Just out of sight 

I see you in dreams
In black and white
Then in sepias in shadows 
At the edge of the light

I see your familiar outlines 
In streets ambers and yellows
Dulls shades n brights
In the shadows just out of sight

In that corner I hover
At the edge of the light 

I grow towards you
I’m drawn to your halo so bright
I’m stuck in the shadows 
I’m in the night

How did I get here? 
and am I … where?
At the edge of the light
I will wait for you there


In the last of the light at the edge of the field 

by Claire Bolger

In the last of the light at the edge of the field I can look out of my window and touch the wide expanse of it. See the blue sky, the clouds wrapping across and the sun going down. My eyes stretch to make out the blue of the sea in the distance. The field slopes down to the hollow and lifts up to the boundaries end. The air has disappeared from my lungs as I remember and comprehend now, that there are last moments. Last moments of standing in your landscape. The last glance at a familiar view. You will never go there again. Finality in breath leaving and whooshing you back to your table.


after Toby Litt (untitled)

by Bev Schofield

In the last of the light at the edge of the field 
will I walk with bare feet in wet grass. 
Let me ask of the day and the daisies galore 
what more could I want but the springing green leaves
 and the breath that I breathe saying 
leave all the wishes, the wants and the woes 
reach up on tip toes to the roughness of bark 
arch my back to the curve of a clearing blue sky, 
lie down at last among needles and cones 
at the edge of the field, the forest and day 
find the edge of my life where there's no more to say


********************************************************************

Thanks to you all ...


... for your heartening feedback as always!


Kay: thankyou thankyou thankyou adrienne
Judith: Thank you Adrienne. x
Adrienne Hannah: xxx
Michele: Lovely body scan, thank you Adrienne.  Blew away the cobwebs and back to spaciousness.
Julia: That was so relaxing, didn't want to come back...
Hilaire: That was so necessary - thank you Adrienne!
Julia: What was the poem that was read again?
Lou T: the best body scan Adrienne :)
Adrienne Hannah: The Journey David Whyte
Bev: In the last of the light at the edge of the field
Angie: Superb Sandra.  I loved that.
Julia: Lovely rhythm sandra
Beccy: sums up the life of a poet!
Claire: Loved the physicality of it
Bex: sorry my wifi is a bit unstable so turning video off
Beccy: beautiful - you captured a feeling for me
Julia: Yes, that took me with it...
Lesley O'Brien: Beautiful Claire, really beautiful
Lesley O'Brien: fantastic Angie!
Bex: loved that
Joyce: fabulous Beccy  loved it
Angie: I want to go there Beccy.  That sounded wonderful.
Julia: Amazing! Love the alliteration and internal rhymes beccy
Angie: 'impending gifts of darkness'  I love that line.
Julia: Powerful Joyce...
Beccy: beautiful imagery
Beccy: yes I want more of that!
Lou T: in the wilds of catterline - love it - if spelling that right :)
Julia: Hope we hear more of that kay..
Kay: lou's correct   catterline  x
Beccy: great!
Beccy: Love both of those nature poems.
Angie: I liked the imagery of the wet whiskers Helen.
Angie: Wow Nicole that was so powerful. x
Julia: Poignant!
Beccy: so moving, and love the circular-ness of it
Helen: that is amazing..it has helped me..thanks nichole
Kath Higgens: Superb, Bev
Kay: so many beautiful poems   thankyou everyone
Diane: So inspiring to hear your beautiful words thank you
Angie: Thank you Bev for your prompt and inspiring words.
Lou T: what a beautiful soul full morning - thank you B&A et al xx
Judith: Powerful and beautiful words and images from everyone. Thank you to all for sharing and such a privilege to listen.
Julia: Thank you everyone
Hilaire: Thank you everyone for your wonderful words
Joyce: thank you everyone  - another inspiring and moving morning  - heartfilled!
Angie: Thank you Adrienne and Bev for a wonderful session.  Good to see everyone again.  xx
Bex: Thanks all, see you next week
Michele: thank you all, lovely poems.
Sheila: Kindness to all.  Amazing words xx 

********************************************************************

 
Thanks to funders
Lapidus Scotland gratefully acknowledges the support of Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership via the Wellbeing for Longer in Glasgow Fund managed by Impact Funding Partners