Monday, August 30, 2021

MaW session 24th August 2021



 



































The sun stole a few of our writers away today leaving us with a smaller, cosier group.
Adrienne introduced her "Noticing the content of the undercurrent" practice with a  poem "Well of Grief" by David Whyte 
Bev took a writing prompt from the poem "Shore Leave" by Charles Causley:
 
but I hasten away

******************************************************************

And now for some of 

YOUR WRITING:

INVISIBLE
by Karen Ewing

Our telephone rings, but I choose not to answer
Knowing you will reach for it before the third ring,
I know the news already.

The chaotic dialogue of Orderly, Manager
And an anguished son, estranged by mile upon mile of motorway.

Against the invisible background she weeps.
A tax payer all her life,
Never a burden,
Reduced to this.
Entombed in a failing hospital bed,
More dishonest than her failing eyesight.

Why now? Why me?
I’m ninety-three for Heaven’s sake.
Deep within this noisy, post pandemic ridden ward
With its odourless food,
The one sense she can never recover is her sight.

I close the door on their conversation 
Riddled with anger and disappointment and fear.
“Capacity - we have no capacity today, Sir
No capacity to discharge your mother home today.”
Another day we will never recover.

And still she weeps silently into our telephone.


Shore Leave
by Doreen Kelly

I have been chosen for shore leave this evening. Oh what will the others think? In the depths of the darkness I cower not sure if I'm good enough. Am I strong enough? Am I good enough? Am I the correct size and shape to fit into our mosaic to join the wishy washy dance? But I hasten to do my bit as even shore leave needs all to do their bit. Away we hasten towards the rising moon, away from the unfaithful ocean toward the siren of the shore. Goal achieved, peace follows as shinge rolls, rearranges and forms anew. In that moment I looked up and observed a goddess at peace yet awesome. Statuesque in the moonlight. I tiptoe away hoping not to be the cause of her stirring. Please don't let the mirror shatter on my account.  



********************************************************************

Thanks to you all ...

... for your heartening feedback as always!

Kay: wonderful thanks kx
Giovanna: “before you glimpse beneath the surface of my skin and ask” I love this Cath
Catrice: “Memories like unstirred dirt”
Giovanna: ALL OF THAT KAY!!!
Catrice: “What scribble of my pen, would be worth the read” — so honest and poignant!
Catrice: “This shrug of ailing earth”
Giovanna: “touch the body, smooth cotton skin”
Kay: thankyou everyone   a wonderful session  kx

********************************************************************

 
Thanks to funders
Lapidus Scotland gratefully acknowledges the support of Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership's "Wellbeing for Longer in Glasgow Fund" (managed by Impact Funding Partners).